Potato, Leek And Spinach Soup

I'm kind of sad to see winter go, not because I want it to stay cold or because I like having to wear mittens when driving to work but because I will miss having yummy winter soups most nights of the week.

I thought I would share a new soup recipe I made tonight. Its really filling and hearty! my kind of soup.

serves 2-4

ingredients

1 leek, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove of garlic, diced
3 medium waxy potatoes, diced
2 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 cup of milk or cream.

1. Prep all in the ingredients. Cut off and discard the dark green part of the leek. Cut the leek in half and then thinly slice crosswise. Rinse the slices well in a large bowl of cold water. Drain them in a colander.

2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot stir in the leeks and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the potatoes and stock. Bring to a steady simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about another 10 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer the soup for 10 more minutes. Take the pot off the heat. Use a masher to mash the potatoes into the soup (for a smoother consistency) and stir in cream or milk.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some crumbled feta or parmesan shavings on top.




Now being bright green this soup isn't exactly the most appetising of soups, in fact James made a face when I served it up for tea. But after one sip he was convinced it was delicious. Try it you wont be disappointed.

Comments