Rainbow cupcakes

Inspired by this amazing cake at craftcrafty.tv. I decided I would embark on a rainbow cupcake challenge for my friends birthday yesterday. The results were pretty awesome and delicious once you get over the initial ' oh my goodness theirs so many colours in my cake' shock. Below is my process, its actually not as complicated as it looks.

How they did the cake above was basically by making 6 small cakes in rainbow colours and then stacking them on top of each other. But for a cupcake that would near impossible so I decided to follow the same idea but just layer the mixture on top of each other and bake.

Ta da! I'm pretty proud of how they turned out! I iced them in white chocolate frosting with a little edible glitter and some rainbow star sprinkles.

You will need :

  • Rainbow cupcake cases x12
  • Any cupcake recipe prepared to the batter stage or a cake mix will work too just make sure its plain.
  • 3 food colours- red, blue and yellow or if you have the other colours in premade mixes use those instead.
  • Icing of your choice
  • Sprinkles

The technique:

Divide your batter into 6 equal portions of mixture and place in some containers to mix the separate colours in.

Bowl 1- Add half a cap full of red colouring
Bowl 2- Add half a cap full of red and half a cap full of yellow=orange
Bowl 3- Half a cap of yellow
Bowl 4- Half a cap full of yellow and half of blue= green
Bowl 5- Half a cap full of Blue
Bowl 6- Half a cap full of Blue, half a cap full of Red= purple

Now for the fun and slightly messy part. You want to fill up each cupcake case with about equal portions of the colours in order of the rainbow.

I started with about a teaspoon red for the bottom layer then a teaspoon of orange, yellow, green, purple and blue until I had filled each case up about 3/4 of the way. Make sure you try to smooth the mixture evenly over the whole space in the cupcake case before moving onto the next colour otherwise when the bake you wont have a defined layers of colour.

Bake them according to the instruction in your recipe, cool and then ice and decorate.

That's it! I told you it was easy didn't I? The hardest part is trying to keep the food colouring from staining your fingers lol. As you can see in this photo below I failed miserably. But it was so worth it!


Comments