Cheats Chelsea buns

I usually make these by hand which takes a good couple of hours but the last couple of times I've been cheating and using the bread maker. The bread maker is like my new best friend, we use it at least once a week, in fact the last 2 weeks up to Easter its been cranking out hot cross buns galore and nice crunchy breads to have with our soup. So if you have a bread maker and want to try something a little different, I highly recommend this recipe.

Its an Allyson Gofton recipe from her 'Bake' book (She's a New Zealand recipe book author).

You will need:

1 egg
1 cup water
3½ tsp dried granulated yeast

3½ cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
50g butter, softened

Fruit filling:


75g butter, well softened
¾ cup currants or sultanas

Grated rind 1 orange
¼ cup mixed peel


Place everything into your bread maker and set it to the make dough setting. Leave it to do its bread making magic! it takes about 1.5 hrs, plenty of time to read my new Elizabeth Gilbert book:)



Then all you do it roll out the dough and spread it with the filling. I added some coconut to my filling but you could put pretty much anything you like, peacans and honey work great or custard and jam maybe? Then you roll up the dough just like a swiss roll cake and take 2 cm slices with a shape knife, these will result in lovely big swirls like the picture above. 



Bake them for about 15 mins in a 200 degree oven. When they are still hot, glazed them with a little raspberry jam and ice if you wish. I made a really easy icing with just some hot water and icing sugar and drizzled it on with a teaspoon. 

Mine don't look anything like the recipe I started with (picture from the book is above) I think they look better ;)




Comments