A Right Royal Time!

Last Friday night we had a Royal Wedding viewing party at our place. I forgot to take photos of everyone but I did manage to take some of the food :). We had an English theme (of course) and a bunch of delicious British snacks and nibbles. 


L-R mini quiches, sausage rolls, vegies with home-made chilli jam, cucumber sandwiches. We also had trifle and scones with jam and cream.

I also made Earl Grey Shortbread (that I forgot to put out!) So we have been munching on those this week.

My favourite of all the things we made was the mini quiches, who knew mini quiches were so easy to make? All you need is a muffin tray, some frozen pastry, eggs and some delicious fillings of your choice. We went for the traditional bacon and cheese but you could add veggies like capsicum and tomato's or maybe fancy it up with pancetta and feta? The possibilities are endless really. Here is the recipe I used.

After doing some snooping on the internet I found out all about the wedding food and their real wedding cake. Isn't it a masterpiece? 



Its a traditional fruit cake which apparently William wasn't too happy about so he asked for there to also be a chocolate biscuit cake (his fav). What's a chocolate biscuit cake you ask? well its exactly what it sounds like. Its pretty much just biscuits and chocolate! 

  Chocolate biscuit cake just like my Mum would make

I remember having this cake I was a kid, its really rich but so delicious. McVities cake company made it which is the company that makes McVities biscuits! They also make Jaffa cakes (James's Fav)

 
This was the one they had! Pretty impressive for a chocolate biscuit cake!

The Queen’s army of 21 chefs prepared 10,000 canapés to keep Will and Kate’s 650 guests satisfied. Here’s just a sampling of the wide range of canapés on the menu.
  • Scottish Smoked Salmon Rose on Beetroot Blini
  • Pressed Duck Terrine with Fruit Chutney
  • Miniature Watercress and Asparagus Tart
  • Quail Eggs with Celery Salt
  • Miniature Yorkshire Pudding with Roast Fillet of Beef and Horseradish Mousse
  • Assortment of Palmiers and Cheese Straws
Sounds pretty good to me! The royal wedding spread also included Pol Roger NV Brut Reserve champagne and sumptuous desserts like blood orange pate de fruit, raspberry financiers, dark chocolate ganache truffles, and rhubarb crème brulee tartlets – but smart royal wedding party guests saved room for some of that biscuit cake.

I adored watching their Wedding. It was obviously very formal and traditional but I like how they made some little modern twists like having two cakes, her choosing to wear her hair down etc. I especially liked how Kate put trees down the aisle of Westminster Abbey, it made her walk down feel like you were watching a something out of a storybook.


And that dress was amazing! Dignified and oh so Princess. Is it just me or can you can totally imagine little birds dressing her?

Congrats Wills & Kate!

Comments