Caramel deliciousness

What better way to spend an afternoon than baking a new treat? Today I decided to make what my Mum calls 'tan slice' but what my recipe book names 'oaty caramel slice'. I took some pictures of the process because really I just wanted an excuse to use my cool new android camera app.

In other news I'm getting excited to see lots of movies in the next few weeks, its funny how some months there is nothing you want to pay $15 to see and other months you want to see everything! This month is one of the latter! The one I'm most looking forward to "The Help" which I'm planning on reading in the next little while ( thanks to my awesome sister for posting me the book!)

Caramel tan/oaty slice:

Base:
1 1/2 Cup flour
1/4 Sugar
175 g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 Cup oats

Filling:
1 can condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
50 gm butter




















Beat butter sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, add flour and oats and mix until crumbs form and the mixture clumps together.




















Meanwhile... in a pot add condensed milk, butter and golden syrup, let it bubble away on a low heat until the butter melts and it becomes caramel in colour ( takes about 5 mins). Press 3/4 of the base mixture into a slice tin ( 26 cm x 26 cm) and pour over the caramel sauce. Crumble the last 1/4 of the base mixture onto the top of the caramel sauce and then bake in a moderate oven until golden brown and the caramel is no longer 'wobbly' (about 25-30 mins).




















 Cool and cut into fingers.Mmmm Caramel deliciousness....

Comments