Feijoa, feijoa,feijoa

It's feijoa season my friends and what better way to celebrate than to share a yummy feijoa recipe. This afternoon I baked these beauties...

My Feijoa and Blueberry muffins


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 feijoas

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries and scooped out feijoas (chopped roughly). Fill muffin cups right to the top.
  3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done. 
I used fresh blueberries but you could also use frozen.
Feijoas are one of my favourite fruits, they have a really unique flavour apparently a combo of a strawberry, gauva and pineapple. 
  And you can eat the pretty feijoa blossoms too!
If you love feijoas as much as me you should check out this ladies blog 'feijoa,feijoa' I found it last year and use it for all my feijoa needs. She has so many great feijoa recipes and related things, she even has list of all the feijoa products and where you can buy them in NZ - awesome!
http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com/

My favourite feijoa products are feijoa sour lollies you can buy from Countdown & Redwoods feijoa wine (They also make a kiwifruit wine!)



Let me know if you've tried any other feijoa products, I'm always keen to try anything feijoa flavoured especially if it comes recommended!
 

Comments