Pie time

In case you forgot, I really love Autumn. To me it means hearty, warming food and what better hearty warming food is there than pie! This weekend I baked two pies  (and ate three! We bought pies from Blue Belle Cafe for lunch on Saturday) Anyway all of which I really enjoyed and so did James and our flat mate.

The pastry part I'm not so keen on, not because it's not tasty but because it takes ages. I made my own short crust pastry for my berry pie and it took a good 20 mins and to be honest I think the frozen pastry you buy is better. Pro tip just spare yourself the hassle and use bought stuff.

I made the chicken pot pie on Friday night and its pretty delicious. The filling is not dissimilar to making a stir fry. You just throw everything in and wait a few mins, pour it into your pie crust and bake then mmm it's pie time! 

Sarah-Rose's chicken pie:

1 stalk of celery chopped
1/2 cup milk
2-3 tablespoons of flour
Chicken breast chopped and cooked
Handful of peas
One grated carrot
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
frozen puff pastry floured and rolled out
2 cloves of garlic minced
One onion chopped
Butter about 50 gm
Chicken stock cube broken up

Throw the garlic and onion in a pan with a little oil and just cook until soft. Place all your other ingredients in the pan too except for the flour, milk and butter. Cook everything until it is smelling and looking delicious. Then add you milk,butter and flour, It will thicken really fast so if you don't want a really thick mixture then add some water until you reach desired consistency for your pie filling. Roll out your pastry on a floured surface and place your pie filling into little pie pots or a big dish. Cover the top with your rolled out pastry and bake for about 30-40 mins at 180 degrees C until the pie toping is golden brown and crunchy.

My Berry Apple Pie

For my berry apple pie I just cut up 3 apples into cubes, cooked them in a tiny bit of water with about a 1/4 cup of sugar and a few handfuls of mixed frozen berries.

Once the apples were cooked through I added 2 big tablespoons of flour and some vanilla essence. This thickened up nicely into a yummy berry apple filling.

I then cut out some long strips from my homemade pastry ( but I'd use store bought if I was you) and wove a little lattice top. Baked it for about 50 mins until golden brown.

The cool thing about pastry is you can make it into all kinds of cool shapes, I decided to put little leaves and berries on top of mine!

My berry apple pie


Heres some more pie eye candy for you!


 
Mmmmmm Pie!!

Comments