Homemade caramel corn

Theres lots of recipes online for how to make your own caramel corn but they pretty much all have corn syrup in them (gross). My recipe is just good old brown sugar and butter.

I made some tonight because it's my husbands favourite and perfect for a chilly night in watching TV.


You can add whatever you like to this recipe and it will just get better! I've added roasted peanuts, peanut butter and chocolate chips but I'd love to add mashmallows!

1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of water

Bring these to the boil in a pot for about 5 minutes until they boil and start to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Then take off the heat and quickly beat in...

1 tsp of vanillia
1/2 tsp baking soda

Drizzle the caramel over to coat about 2 cups of freshly popped popcorn (and your nuts if your adding them) and place it all on a baking tray that is covered in baking paper.

Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Other variations: 

Drizzle chocolate over
Cinnamon maple pecan (just add some toasted pecans, a tsp of cinnamon and a tablespoon of maple syrup)

What else could you add? you're only limited by your imagination really. Although I did see someone put bacon in, I think that might be taking it a step too far...

ENJOY <3

Comments