A bit of a toast affair

I really like toast...scratch that...I frickin LOVE toast! usually its only with Pic's peanut butter but recently I have branched out to Barkers Strawberry jam too! (although I think homemade jam would be even better!)

This Easter weekend I decided to get back into baking my own bread after I baked some yummy hot cross buns with the children at work the day before.


Homemade bread really is phenomenal for toast! I've decided that wholemeal is far superior for toasting so thought I'd share one of my favourite wholemeal bread recipes. It's from the BBC which seems fitting- I mean surely the British know how to make good toast, they invented it!



 (Amazing toast picture care of Pinterest)

400g wholemeal flour
50g white flour
2 tsp yeast
Half a 500mg vitamin C tablet, crushed
2 tsp salt
3 tsp brown sugar
400ml warm water
50g melted butter
1. Tip the flours, yeast, vitamin powder, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix well. Add 300ml water, and stir in well, then pour in the butter and work in well. You should have a soft, sticky dough: if not, add a little more water. Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
2. Tip out on to a lightly oiled work surface and knead for 10 seconds, then put back in the bowl and cover. Repeat twice more at intervals of 10 minutes, then leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
3. Flatten the dough into a rough rectangle about the length of your baking tin, then roll up tightly, and put into a greased tin, with the join facing downwards. Cover and leave to rest in a warm place until it has doubled in height (at least 1½ hours).
4. Pre-heat the oven to 220C. Bake the bread for 20 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 200C and cook for a further 15–20 minutes, until the crust is a deep brown, and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out on to a cooling rack.

Then slice,toast and cover with jam! :)

Comments