Lemon meringue madness

We have recently moved into our friends house and one of my favourite things so far is that they seem to have an endless supply of lemons in their fruit bowl! I reeeally love lemons (see my previous post on my lemon obsession here)




Last Saturday I decided to make some lemon halloween cupcakes but that recipe only used 2 lemons out of a possible 15 or more in the fruit bowl! So on Sunday night I decided to make my lemon meringue pie for my new flatmates. I haven't made one in about 3 years! I don't really know why its been so long since I made one of these delicious pies but it seemed like time (plus the recipe used a whopping 9 lemons!)
Below is my fool proof lemon meringue pie recipe, its based on the Australian Woman Weekly recipe but with a few of my own additions, enjoy!

  • CRUST
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 3 teaspoons icing sugar
  • 140g butter
  • 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons water, approximately
  • FILLING
  • 1/2 cup cornflour
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 8-9 lemons)
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 60g unsalted butter
  • zest of 4 lemons

  • MERINGUE
  • 1/2 cup castor sugar
  • 3 egg whites 
  • To make the pastry:
  • Rub the butter into the flour to make fine crumbs, add the egg yolk and two tablespoons of water until it comes together then refrigerate for 30 min.

  • To make the filling:
  • While your waiting for your pastry to cool its time to start juicing your lemons, don't forget to zest 4 of them. Combine all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil until the mixture gets very thick!! Set aside your egg whites in a clean bowl for the meringue. Let cool.
  • Roll out your pastry and blind bake it for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

  • To make the meringue:
  • Add the sugar to your egg whites a table spoon at a time while you are beating them with an electric mixer. Beat until soft peaks occur and the mixture is beautiful and glossy!


  • Finally, place your lemon filling into the baked pastry crust and pile on top of that your delicious meringue! I like to use a spoon to form nice big peaks or spikes so when it cooks you get that classic lemon meringue pie 'look' on top :-)

    Yum!!!



Comments