Gluten free Christmas treats

For those of you who have been following my health journey this year you will know I have been gluten free for most of the year (not strictly though as I do have a treat day on Sundays).

Being gluten free at Christmas time is proving quite a challenge especially with all of the delicious treats around this time of the year so I thought I'd post a few of my favourite things I'm making and enjoying this December.


1. Dairy free, low sugar, gluten free, candy cane cocoa!

I know your thinking what? Are you crazy? Why would you want that but seriously it's delicious, don't dis it until you try it. You can sprinkle a little crushed candy cane on top to make it candy cane flavoured, like this one above (just check for gluten on your box first). If it's too hot for cocoa maybe you could freeze them instead like this clever person?


So how do you make this delicious treat? It's really easy, just warm some almond milk or coconut milk in the microwave or stove top, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa and a tablespoon of pure maple syrup, blend in a blender or whisk and add a drop of vanilla to taste. YUM!

 2. Gluten free gingerbread cookies


These are so delicious you won't even know the difference!  Recipe is from the roasted root blog

3. Now for my absolute favourite and what I am planning on making this holiday season for friends and family.

Chocolate bliss balls: I roll mine in coconut but if your not a fan, you can always dust them with icing sugar or roll them in chopped nuts or even dried fruit if your blend it finely enough.



 Ingredients for the base flavour:
  • 1 cup of cashews or almonds blended until smooth (or you can cheat and buy cashew or almond butter)
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 dates (pitted and soaked in warm water for at least an hour)
  • 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
  • 1 cup of desiccated coconut for coating or chopped nuts/fruit
Then just add in whatever flavours your like, just don't add too much because the consistency will go a bit off, a handful or two of whatever addition will be awesome!

E.g to make them chocolate mint add a handful of chocolate chips and some peppermint essence.

I like coconut and apricot too and lemon and cranberry is pretty delicious.

or my personal favourite, take out the cocoa and add lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of coconut YUM!!

I hope this has inspired you to try some healthier treats this year?

Merry Christmas!

Love and happy baking xx

Eat, Bake, Love <3

Comments