Lemon poppy seed muffins

A couple of weekends ago I made a these delicious lemon poppy seed muffins because I realised that I had a huge bag of poppy seeds to use up! Did anyone else know that poppy seeds can go rancid in as little as 3 weeks?! Not me... Anyway it was a good reason to try out a new recipe.

I really liked these muffins but they weren't lemony enough for my taste, I think 3 tablespoons of lemon zest (instead of 2) would be just right for next time.

I used my trusty friend "Allyson Gofton" for the recipe she never steers my wrong. Her website was recently revamped and their are HEAPS of great recipes online now so you don't even need to buy the books.

 It was actually a loaf recipe by I just put it in muffin tins instead and cooked it for 25 mins.

Ingredients

  • ¾ cup milk
  • ½ cup poppy seeds
  • 150 grams butter, softened
  • ¾ cup castor sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1¾ cups flour
  • 1 tsp each baking power and baking soda
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 2 tsp grated lemon rind

Method

  1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan and when hot but not boiling, stir in the poppy seeds. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
  3. Sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda and fold into the creamed mixture, alternately with the poppy seeds and milk. Lastly fold in the lemon juice. Turn into a greased and paper-lined 22cm x 12cm loaf tin.
  4. Bake at 180ÂșC for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.. Allow the loaf to stand for 20 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.



Comments