Dairy free life and the very delicious lemon cupcakes

As some of you know I recently had a very big trauma with the birth of our first baby. After many scary complications it was suggested by some midwifes and nurses that I trial a dairyfree diet to help reduce all of the inflammation in my body. I love milk and milk products so it's been intially challenging but after almost 6 weeks of it now I'm happy to report a marked improvement in my energy levels and also in my general well being. I've also been cutting back gluten as that is a common inflammatory food as well.

Mmm lemons!
🍋🍋🍋🍋
Baby Shower Cupcakes
💜

























Last weekend I had two special occasions, an old friends catch up and a lovely Mama to be's baby shower. I put one of my favourite dairyfree recipes to good use and also made them gluten free by adding gluten free flour instead of regular flour.

Intially I was a bit skeptical that they would work because the mixture seemed VERY sticky but to my surprise they not all worked but tasted great!

Here is the recipe! I've adapted it from one I found at www.taste.com.au

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup polyunsaturated spread (I use Olivani)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or one teaspoon of real vanilla seed paste)
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1 egg
  • Zest of half a lemon 
  • 3/4 cup of cold water

Icing:

  • 2/3 cup polyunsaturated spread (Olivani)
  • 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Yellow food colouring



Method

  • Step 1
    Preheat oven to 180°C. Line one 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
  • Step 2
    Using an electric mixer or cake mixer beat spread, vanilla extract, sugar, flour, egg and 3/4 cup cold water on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to high. Beat for a further 4 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Spoon into patty cases. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into one cake comes out clean. Stand cakes in pans for 2 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
  • Step 3
    Make icing. Using an electric mixer, beat spread, icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add 2 to 3 drops of food colouring and beat to combine. Place icing in a piping bag or plastic bag with one corner snipped off. Pipe icing onto cakes. Top with sprinklesor decorations of your choosing, 
    Serve. YUM!! YUM!!

Comments