Raw Raspberry Cheesecake Bites

Raw what?

Lately I’ve been really interested in creating healthier alternatives to traditionally high fat treats, like cheesecake. With my new dairy-free diet I actually can’t tolerate a lot of cheese so that means cream cheese has pretty much been eliminated :(

I’ve been researching some new recipes online and I found this one by Vegan Huggs. I made the filling pretty much exactly like their recipe but instead of cherries (because they aren't in season here) I used frozen raspberries. I also eliminated the bottom layer because I didn't have any almonds but I think the base might give it more stability so if I was to make them agin I would put the base on the bottom.

The filling is actually so delicious. You do need to blend the filling for a long time in your food processor to get it smooth and to be honest mine could have been smoother which would have been even nicer I think.

The hardest step I thought was remembering to soak your cashew nuts for at least 6 hours before hand. If you can I’d do it overnight though then it’s even better because they will blend much easier.

CRUST INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates
  • Pinch of sea salt
FILLING INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in water for 4 hours or more
  • Juice of one large lemon
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquified (in the microwave or a pot)
  • 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk (use creamier part)
  • 1/4-1/3 maple pure syrup ( I like it less sweet, so I used 1/4 cup)
  • 3 tablespoons coconut shreds
  • 1 cup raspberries (thaw if using frozen)
  • Pinch of sea salt
CRUST METHOD:
  1. Process the almonds and dates until if forms a loose dough. Press between your fingers to make sure it sticks together. Add more dates or nuts for the needed consistency.
  2. Fill muffin liners with the crust. Press firmly down. (I used a muffin pan as well, to keep things sturdy)
  3. Pop in freezer while you make the filling.
FILLING METHOD:
  1. Combine all ingredients (except raspberries) in a blender or food processor. Blend until really creamy and smooth.
  2. Pour on top of crust to the halfway mark. Pop back in freezer, while you prepare the raspberries filling.
  3. Place the raspberries into the remaining other half of the filling, blend until creamy and smooth.
  4. Pour raspberry filling on top of vanilla layer.
  5. Freeze for 2-4 hours
Recipe Notes:
 
Let sit out for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh coconut whipped cream (just whip your left over coconut cream) chocolate shavings, coconut flakes or a little raspberry like I did.  
 
I was a bit too eager and didn't wait long enough so my first one wasnt the best but if you can wait (clearly I couldn't) I think the wait will be worth it. 

-Recipe adapted from Vegan Huggs -

Comments